Ghana’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, has called on South African President Cyril Ramaphosa to take decisive action to end xenophobic attacks against foreign nationals in South Africa.
His remarks followed a statement by President Ramaphosa condemning recent attacks targeting foreign nationals in parts of the country.
In a post on X, President Ramaphosa stated that the violent protests and criminal acts against foreigners did not represent the views of South Africans or the policy of his government.
Responding to the post, Mr Ablakwa described the president’s comments as reassuring and expressed confidence in his leadership to resolve the situation.
“We count on your leadership to resolve this,” he wrote.
He added that Ghana deeply values its longstanding relationship with South Africa, which he said had been built on solidarity and brotherhood.

Mr Ablakwa also reaffirmed his belief in the vision of Ghana’s first President, Kwame Nkrumah, declaring: “Africa Shall UNITE.”
Meanwhile, the Government of Ghana has formally petitioned the African Union (AU) to place the issue of xenophobic attacks in South Africa on the agenda of the upcoming AU Mid-Year Coordination Meeting scheduled for June 24 to 27, 2026, in El Alamein, Egypt.
In a statement dated Thursday, May 7, Mr Ablakwa said Ghana remained deeply concerned about recurring xenophobic incidents in South Africa, which he noted had led to loss of lives, destruction of property and threats to the safety of African nationals living in the country.
He stressed that continued attacks on fellow Africans undermine the principles of African solidarity, unity and brotherhood upheld by member states of the African Union.
While acknowledging South Africa’s sovereignty and responsibility to maintain security within its borders, the Foreign Affairs Minister said the attacks posed a broader continental concern that required urgent attention from African leaders.
Source: 3news.com

